Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Between Silence & Light

I did not go on the trip to Monticello and Falling Water, however, in discussion with the class, it was noted that the craft of the two buildings was great.  I recall someone talking about how the original door hinges were still in place and working just fine on at least one set of doors in Monticello.  Craft was also very important in our last project.  In this project, we had to use ¼” MDF.  We had to be able to cut our design out of this material and put it together while maintaining a level of craft.  Mine I feel was lacking in craft.  Some pieces were too short, the cuts were not all even, and there were glue spots from where I had had problems getting the artifact to stay together.  Craft is important in every design, whether it is only made to last a couple days or hundreds of years.  


Over the semester, we have learned many different ways or techniques of doing things.  In drawing, we learned how to use watercolors, markers, colored pencil, and other types of media.  We are now learning techniques for using MDF such as how to hold it together and what to cut it with.  In my precedent analysis project, I have found that I.M. Pei had to use new techniques in construction and innovation to get the Bank of China Tower to stand and be able to withstand typhoon winds.  



Public and private can be defined through many different means.  At Falling Water (I believe), there was the long, narrow, darker hallway that led to one of the bedrooms.  Public would be more along the lines of the living room/family room, kitchen, and dinning room.  The bedrooms and bathrooms are more private.  In my house, this is separated by the stairs.  Downstairs is all public space, while the upstairs is private. 

I felt that there was a lot this week that I could have related better to the field trip had I gone.  There seemed to be a good deal that related back to the detail or the structure of one or both buildings.  Monticello and Falling Water, both, have something that can be talked about for every word, but I also found myself thinking back to my own home and comparing it to these to buildings.  Craft, public and private, and technique have all changed over the many years.  My house would not be able to last quite as long as these two.  Looking at Monticello and Falling Water and hearing the discussions in class, have really shown how things have changed in the way of architecture, both private and commercial (public). 


No comments:

Post a Comment